Long before it was the movement we embraced Slow Fashion at Thank You India. But, you may ask, what exactly is Slow Fashion?
Basically, it is a slower, more thoughtful approach toward the fabrication of goods such as clothing and jewelry. This go-slow artisanal concept in turn emphasizes fair wages for artisans, and a more sustainable production.
In recent years Slow Fashion has become more prominent and we couldn’t be more happy. During the pandemic we have learned to embrace a slower lifestyle. We garden more. We eat more home cooked meals. And we have become, more than ever, conscious of our efforts in making an impact locally and globally.
Here are six ways that we embrace slow at Thank You India:
- We ensure our jewelry pieces are made from natural and ethically sourced materials such as silver which is 75% locally salvaged silver, or uncoated brass, and or locally sourced semi precious stones.
- We work directly with weavers to obtain cotton from the farm fields that they then spin and handloom into scarves and table linen.
- For packaging we use recycled and upcycled cotton and cardboard; all in a conscious effort to minimize our environmental impact.
- We promote cooperative, interdependent and symbiotic relationships with the communities where our artisans live.
- We focus on quality of craftsmanship and authenticity of work. Our collections are in small batches and we aim for enduring classic styles with versatile options.
- When our clients invest in higher quality pieces, while it means they may purchase less often, they will be helping to decrease the carbon footprint of the fashion industry.
In a nutshell, Slow Fashion rivals fast fashion in promoting a slower, more sustainable approach toward consumption and in simplifying supply chains, all the while encouraging quality and longevity of the product. It is a credo that makes sense, now more than ever, where we advocate for equality of people through social justice movements such as #MeToo, #BlackLivesMatter, #WomensMarch.
At Thank You India, you can be sure that we have:
- Chosen skilled craftsmen to ensure quality and an authentic aesthetic
- Designed for versatility
- Supported the makers
Our goal is to support your efforts to be not only a conscious but a fashionable buyer, one who understands the impact your choices make.
#sustainablefashion #socialjustice #supportartisans #slowfashion #thankuindia